Tuesday 23 April 2013

YOU'RE JUST SOME PEOPLE I DON'T WANT TO KNOW

Coming north from Yonge and Bloor early this evening the crowded standing room only subway placed me within hearing range of a guy and girl talking in a foreign language. After a stop or two I wondered how I might casually ask them what language they had been speaking but realized that this was actually beside the point. When they switched to English, they were probably continuing their dissection and critique of people around them anyway.

The gist of the conversation, impossible to avoid was that if someone didn't have money they were worthless and neither he nor she would be interested. A minute later the girl said, well I have to respect the person I am with, or they are nothing. The word 'garbage' was used by one of them.

Shortly after this the girl said, that well, it wasn't exactly only money per se that interested her but more someone of great accomplishment, the best in their field, the best at whatever they did. The guy then said, yeah, I suppose then it's not money as such or only. I thought, too late to backpedal buddy and try to mitigate your obvious avarice. Admit it, you think you wannabee attached to someone special.

Of course, by this time I was dying to get a look at these two. Were they young, gorgeous, brilliant? Not a one. Brilliant, not at all. Gorgeous, well the girl was reasonable looking, but no super model in looks or dress. The guy like her was young, maybe mid 20's. He was wearing that peculiar mustardy colour that pants come in, a top that didn't add anything I could see to his nondescript backpack, and he had curly hair. What else? Nothing much I could see.

I felt like asking a telling question or two, but knew it wouldn't register on either of these oblivious wannabees.

The first question I would need to ask was, 'Having unwittingly overheard your conversation in this public place, you both seem to aspire to locate, meet, befriend, accompany or possibly become involved with an accomplished person of some sort, am I correct?

The next question would have to be: What do either of you think you have to offer that would interest a person like this in you?

I don't think either of them would understand that I was asking these  questions seriously. However, neither possessed any special talent, intellect, look or skill that I could see, that would put them on a level playing field, or into the same orbit of what they said they wanted, and I suspect also expected.

Lovely people I'll never want to know...perhaps out in time for the full moon...perhaps just typical of their sort.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete