Friday 12 April 2013

CLOTHES THEN AND NOW

When looking for a hobby when I began travelling a lot in 1988 around the north eastern United States, I bought my first book on the Haute Couture industry in New York City. I realized that I liked looking at fashion more than looking at Art books. Over this years this has enabled me to see and read about many beautiful things. More about this another time.

Though the formality of clothing that early Boomers might remember such as hats and little white gloves, was rapidly leaving the scene, my group still was much more formal generally until University than most of the younger Boomers would ever be.

My interest in clothes began a lot earlier, when I really didn't have any clothes to wear to work, especially since I worked among business people downtown. I bought my first 7 items of good clothing because I needed some clothes to wear to work. One item was a Blazer by Tinktiner in a Cranberry Wool, a Raspberry coloured Silk Blouse, a three piece Winter White Virgin Wool Suit consisting of a Blazer, a Skirt and a pair of Trousers and a 2 piece camel coloured Wool Pantsuit. I did not pay a lot for these and I believe that ultimately they cost me less than a quarter of a dollar per wearing. In many ways, they really were my first clothes.

Before I was going to university, I probably had a couple of pairs of slacks and a few blouses, sweaters or skirts, though it's hard to remember now, except for a mauve sweater and pants I owned when I was about 10 years old, a 'princess' dress in lime, and a velvet one for winter, when I was a very young girl.

From Grade 5 until the end of Grade 13, I wore a uniform for grade school and high school. First, a sort of pleated navy shift with a white blouse under it. Horrible poofy oversized royal blue bloomers were worn under a skirt for gym class. In my first (boarding) high school, a short sleeved blouse and again a pleated tunic are what I remember wearing. The shoes were grey suede Hush Puppies and short white athletic socks. Finally for my final 3 years, in a Toronto high school, I wore a tunic which buttoned down the front, white blouse underneath, and black stockings and oxford lace up shoes. In my final year, although a new uniform had been developed, I still wore the old (by that time) wreck.

I remember that in the middle of University, I owned one summer dress in a light material and one (of all things) Scarlet pant suit. For school, I daily alternated a couple of sweaters and two pairs of trousers and one coat and two hats. The University uniform those days was even more casual than this, blue jeans and a Tshirt and men with long hair everywhere.

Throughout my working years, I usually wore a Blazer, Skirt or sometimes Trousers, with a Blouse or sometimes a Dress, with a Jacket over it.

The Uniform I live in now, even all these years after leaving work downtown is still Blazer based on top over a shirt or sweater. The last few years, however, I hardly ever wear Dresses. More often now its slacks, a top and a blazer. Surprisingly, I might even be overdressed.

My closets today are bulging, but like so many people, I haven't a thing to wear. Because everyone around me is so casual, and almost every day is similar to what we used to call Casual Friday, most of my clothes reflect this or sit in the closet without a place to wear them.

Just one more reason why I miss the elegant, always neat and appropriately dressed man who was my husband so much. We matched each other and were proud to be seen together.

I doubt anyone would ever want to draw attention by being overdressed. Nor would one want to embarrass someone you were with for the same reason. Today this might be very easy to do, whether you are meeting a woman or man friend, whatever the occasion. 

To avoid, embarassment, for either of us, today I generally pick something casual to wear, match it with something else, put it on and forget about it. Like any makeup which I now only occasionally wear; I dress in what I think is innocuous and neutral and forget it after that. I suspect, most of the time, I probably blend right in, in a more formal sort of way, but there it is.

I feel disappointed today that, the majority of men, and women that I meet don't seem to ever dress up. When I see the rare person who does I am delighted. I recognize someone who has pride, taste and self esteem and I usually want to know them better. 

I still feel that how a man or a woman chooses to show themselves to the world, says a lot, about them. A persons clothes are the first place to look because they tell you most of what you need to know before the person has even said a word.


Note: See also - WHEN EVERY DAY IS CASUAL FRIDAY and
CLOTHES LOVER - FINDING BEAUTY ON THE STREET and
AT LEAST WALMARTIANS ARE REAL PEOPLE

No comments:

Post a Comment