Saturday 6 April 2013

WORRIED ABOUT ALMOST EVERYTHING - DUMB DE DUMB DUMB

It's a long time since I gave even a moment of my time or interest to anyone spouting Psychobabble. The same goes for what I call Feminist rhetoric, which tries to explain 'empowerment' of WIMMIN, long oppressed and subservient by the Men we can do without nicely, now, Thank You very much, since Turkey Basters moved out of the kitchen.

So much anger, so much wounded pride, such grudges and bitterness. What do you expect however, when your sex has decided that the other one is wrong about almost everything they ever said or did.

When either sex decides that not only will they not forgive anything bad they've ever heard or imagined the other's ever did or said, but we don't intend to forget it either.

These modern, Crusaders, male or female are buoyed up and united by their solidarity. "I am Woman, watch me roar, in numbers to ignore"*. I am man and I will bond with other males in my man cave or arena and we have been wronged. No surrender...from now on, we'll do without them.

Real or imagined, anyone who sets about to find something wrong with someone else will surely find something to support their preconceived notion.

Some headway and a reasonable degree of sensitivity to people's race or colour, has now been enacted into law in most of the civilized world. Most of us would immediately condemn genocide, as well. Where we are a bit oblivious is at calling out nonsense when we see it.

It is a long time since Ralph Kramden on the Honeymooners told his wife Alice, that one day, POW right in the kisser, (he would send her) right to the moon. No one I knew ever took this seriously any more than the Three Stooges poking each other, or Road Runner and other cartoons as making anyone think of violence.

Today however, it's fine to show dozens of bullets or knife fights with lots of (red paint) blood and guts, just don't incite violence by letting anyone watch what used to be enjoyed by children's cartoons. Were kids smarter and did they just know that this was pretend? When did someone decide a cartoon had to be edited and sanitized and politically correct probably too?

Meanwhile, I am not a fan of certain types of violence. Though I consider martial arts a discipline and a skill and car chases and explosions as exciting stuff; Even now, I will not willing watch evisceration. Neither do I need the Morgue in the show NCIS to always show the cadavers chests peeled back. I know these figures are supposed to be dead people. Why must I unwittingly, get a nasty surprise so often when I go to see a movie or turn on my television. I can't even bother to talk about the current omnipresent Werewolf v.s. Vampire fans.

Meanwhile, people seem to worry most about the least possibility that someone, somewhere, some day might be offended. Television News services and print media also, no doubt are issued Guidelines on acceptable speech and content. If you don't conform, they will either bleep your words, edit you out or reprimand you for not being sensitive. The worst is to be condemned as mean spirited. You are done for then.

Change the name of the sports team from any name that might offend native peoples. I'd say call them Pussies instead, but someone might think I was maligning their pet cat.

As I now say, get over yourself. Get off of the television service that I pay too much for and go find something else to do with your time. As Billy Joel said in a one of his songs My Life; go ahead with your own life, leave me alone.*


*I Am Woman - Helen Reddy and Bill Joel - My Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment