Saturday 6 April 2013

REGAIN YOUR SELF RESPECT

Imagine my surprise, in my late 20's on virtually my first day at a new job at what was, one of the most renowned stock brokerage houses in the world, to hear foul language at work. I was, as the British say, gobsmacked. 

The world and I had both come a long way by the late 70's in the use of what used to be called 'foul language' in public.

I was no longer the 14 year old in boarding school who stunned eight people simultaneously by using the word 'Shit'. This was justified to myself, on one occasion only by what I felt was stunning provocation.

Several years out of university, like everyone else in Baby Boom land, I had used some words for effect, emphasis, and sometimes just because I was old enough, and could. But, never at work. 

This work group were a bunch of Institutional Traders. It was not long however, before I was more bemused than shocked, by the piles of old dinner plates and cartoons and the language. I soon usually considered it as only a high spirited letting off of steam. 

A few years later, in another part of the financial world, I encountered what to me still is, something far worse at work. By that time, at that job, on the street, and in public in general, with movies leading the pack, cursing using God's name and Blaspheming, was suddenly very common.

By the early 80's, and even today, you cannot swear (or use made up swear words, such as what they now call the 'F-bomb') in most public places, without having a dozen people, cringe, as well as, tell you they were angry and also offended. You could however, take God's name in vain, damn anyone you liked and no one, around you in public or especially in the media, would show anger, reprimand you, or ask you to stop.

I don't know why but, some time between the 70's and now, society decided that Blaspheming was fine, but don't offend anyone, with what our mother called, 'bad words'. The most shocking thing seems to be how fast 'word' travelled and became 'common' and ubiquitous. To me however, this is still much worse than swearing at work.

You can however, make a conscious decision to disengage from the coarseness of filthy language, racial epithets, disrespect and blasphemy. You will regain your self respect, as well as, your ability to communicate better. I consider it a Win-Win situation.


(Formerly called - Much Worse than 'Swearing' at work)

No comments:

Post a Comment