Tuesday 16 April 2013

SMILING - ADDICTIVE & CONTAGIOUS

All of us were not born beautiful but from the infancy on, we become more beautiful when we respond to a smile with one of our own. The smiling infant is gaseous, the smiling infant also looks happy. We look happy too as we respond to the smile, gassy or otherwise.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and l7 to smile. Our anatomy may be telling us something, and it's not that Botox is now available at my family Doctor's for headaches and at my Dermatologists for smile or scowl lines.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919) wrote a poem called Solitude in 1883 which still resonates today, a part of which says: "Laugh and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Most of us suspect its true.

Although we don't always have Louis Armstrong or Judy Garland singing "Smile" for us. We might, however, be a little happier if we remembered it.

Though I probably never smiled as much as I did, day after day, for the duration of my Bucket List trip in 2006, trying to put a smile on in the morning, can start the day better than orange juice. It may only be for the mirror as you brush your teeth, but that's a start.

Should you take your smile outside as you begin your day, you will probably find as I often have, that when you smile, others smile back at you. You feel better and those around you do too. Think of it as a small service to a better day for yourself and those around you. Best of all, you can do it for free.

SMILING IS ONE ADDICTION I WANT TO PASS ON TO EVERYBODY I MEET. I'M SO GLAD IT'S ALSO CONTAGIOUS.


No comments:

Post a Comment