Friday 28 November 2014

WALKING ON SUNSHINE 2 LIFE

Give me a Sunny Day, and thankfully there are many of those and I say, you just can’t keep a good Woman down. 

As I have been saying we all carry our shells (baggage) around with us. This autumn I realized mine again needed to be lightened.

As we all do, I seem to have picked up a lot of junk recently and was carrying it around with me. No wonder I felt loaded down. 

My thinking is, that it’s always a good idea to drop a bunch of this rubbish off as soon as you can after you realize it is happening.

You’d laugh if you saw my recent forays into Luggage buying. I seemed to be doing something I hadn’t done in a really long time, getting ready to take off at the drop of a hat. However, after (literally) lugging around bags on two trips away this year, nothing seems light enough, so in this area of my life, I am still shopping around.

When I was younger all it took was a good idea for a get away and I was calculating how long it would take me to pack, get to the bank and get ready to go, go, go. At least in my mind, taking off was a prescription for fun. In many ways it still is.

However, like everybody else, schedules and obligations to others, and of course, the costs of things, pulls me back down to earth. This means I end up making a plan for the next available time when I can ‘run off’ and have a bit of time away from my ‘real life’. The Wish List has therefore become a regular fixture in my life. 

The ongoing Wish List is actually kind of nice for Keeping the Dream Alive and makes for always having something to look forward to. In this I am luckier than a lot of people and though I am happy and grateful, I still have many things that I have to do before I try and go away.

I can’t understand how Life, no matter how you try to simplify it, always has periods that are overloaded with activities chock a block and overlapping for the same week or often even the same day. Try as I might, even if I can schedule my time to spread things out a bit, getting together with other people takes me back right away to meet them on their overloaded weekends.

But the Sun is out again and I spend my time humming away and thinking about the (I now realize) old song – Walking on Sunshine* by Katrina and the Waves from 1983. I thought this was known everywhere (and apparently it was reissued in the U.S. and became a hit) but apparently it’s a Canadian light rock/pop thingy. No matter, I found it or it found me.

It gives me something to bounce around to as I walk down the street, enjoying the day even more because I can ignore that the weather is colder when I’m enjoying the sun and the brighter light and another nice day…with a really super busy weekend ahead.

We all need to make our own kind of music, live our own special lives and train ourselves to appreciate the miracle and wonder of it all.

It’s not just what gets you through the night that’s important, it’s how you decide to live your days. Walking on Sunshine sure helps brighten things up.


*Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves 1983  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_on_Sunshine_(Katrina_and_the_Waves_album)


No comments:

Post a Comment