Sunday 16 November 2014

THE PERFECT GIFT

I give gifts to my Friends and Family. When I see THE PERFECT GIFT, I am delighted because I know that soon it will go to a good home and bring someone I care about joy and happiness.

At this time of year many of us, enjoy searching for something meaningful to give to someone we care about. It seems that this season makes us feel finding THE PERFECT GIFT is especially important. I always feel there is a different feeling in the air as Christmas and the Holidays near.

I also feel people are happier and more cheerful. Carrying this through the season seems to me to be a very good thing.

Carrying the feeling of Christmas, of the Holidays and of the happiest times of the year onward into the rest of the year is, however, the test.

Those cynical about the materialism of the Christmas/Holiday Season, seem to me, to be missing the point. Whatever helps you to feel more generous, happier and kinder, in effect, makes life more enjoyable for you AND for everyone else around you. This is PAYING IT FORWARD in the best sense of the word.

This is why I was delighted to receive Flowers throughout my Marriage. This is why Peter had so many pieces of ‘DOUBLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE KILLER CAKE’ come home with me for him. This is why I have happy memories of the precious time I have with him.

It is also why I continue to delight in giving something, no matter how small, to those I care about. To make the world a little brighter is worth care and consideration throughout the year. Mindfulness helps make this happen.

My Mothers dear Friend is now 90, as my Mother would have been. I have a Gift of Helen’s Friendship since my Mother died in 1995 because of their habit of having a bowl of soup or a MMMuffin together when they met. On special occasions they exchanged small gifts.

Many years ago, when Helen first called me remembering my Mother and their times together, I tried to take her to the local “Million Dollar Restaurant” to Thank her. I was honoured, moved and delighted that she remembered and missed my Mother.

That day however, she wanted her usual Grilled Cheese Sandwich, which I forced the horrified Waitress to give her (to avoid my going into their Kitchen and making it myself, if necessary).

That day, I learned the valuable lesson; that it isn’t the price of the meal or the Million Dollar environment, it is the memory and the company. I took note and reminded myself, as I often still need to, that what is important is not the material things we provide for ourselves or each other, it is the Love we give.


Throughout our lives, as we go through special times, but more importantly, as we experience our normal everyday lives, we do well to learn and remind ourselves to remember that THE PERFECT GIFT is actually your time and our presence in the lives of those we care about and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment