Friday 21 November 2014

TRUST BREAKERS/THE LIARS

Most of us, at some time in our lives personally encounter and experience The Liar. The Liar is usually one of the kind of people most of us meet who breaks our Trust, not to mention our Hearts. After all it is being done to us by someone who was a Friend, not a Stranger.

I was trying to find the best quote I could to describe what Breaking Trust does to a friendship and relationship. Someone said, ‘Broken Trust is like a Mirror, even if you try and repair it, you will always see the cracks’.

Another person said: ‘When you completely Trust another person, you will end up with one of two outcomes. You will have a Friend for Life or a Lesson for Life. Both are valuable’.

On February 9th 2012, I saw and unfortunately heard (and wrote an essay about) a Liar in the making. I titled my essay: HOW LYING BECOMES A WAY OF LIFE, about a Young Man of about High School age who was already well along in his propensity to Lie to those who cared about him. Sadly by now, he is probably accomplished at it.

This Young Man was not personally lying to me, but I felt sorry for those who cared about him who he was destined to disappoint in the course of the life he seemed to have chosen.

The habitual Liar, makes the Catch Me If You Can fellow appear tame by comparison. Unfortunately, this is partly because most of us have the bad fortune to meet one of them personally at some time in our lives. I doubt he is the amusing and charming scamp that movie would like us to think he is.

These are the people that lie even when they don’t have to. In fact, when a Congenital Liar is caught in the middle of a Lie, he adds one of more new lies to the original one in what we eventually realize is a pathetic attempt to avoid ever having to admit the truth.

What does a Liar get out of it? I don’t know. Losing your Trust forever does not seem like much of goal. I wonder what the Liar thinks justifies his behaviour to those who have trusted him? I can’t imagine. It is possible however, that like habitual Criminals, habitual Liars figure that the odds are good that they will never get caught.

They may also feel that, in the unlikely event that they are caught, they will tell another lie to talk their way out of it. Perhaps they think they have and are able to outsmart you. Maybe they feel very confident that this is so, and congratulate themselves on their cleverness.

It still amazes me that I caught one fellow lying to me. The Television showed the Baseball Game being played live from New York and not here at home. He either could not, or would not admit, despite a half dozen or more opportunities I gave him to do so, that he was not there.

I truly could not understand why he couldn’t say that he had to go somewhere else. Every one of us knows and accepts that sometimes our plans need to change.

I guess it just wasn’t possible for him to state the truth simply. Who knows? Perhaps his motto, like that of Henry Ford is: Never Explain, Never Complain. Who cares what excuse he used to justify breaking my trust?


No comments:

Post a Comment