Friday 21 November 2014

GOING PLACES

I continue to find that there is something fascinating about coming into a new city and seeing it go about it's business. I compare this to being, like the proverbial 'fly on the wall' in that you get a chance to see other cities and cultures, living and moving around you. 

However, you are not living your normal life. You are not part of the places you visit. You are, in reality, just passing through and are there only as a Visitor and Spectator, doing many of the 'Tourist' things that Visitors and Tourists do. 

This gives you a wonderful opportunity to enjoy freedom and anonymity as well as a complete change of scenery and the absence of routine which travel can give you. 

Were you at home, you would be doing many things differently. For example, you would almost certainly not be visiting the Tourist spots. In fact, unless you had Visitors from out of town, you would probably not consider seeing, and especially paying to see, the local things of interest in your home town. 

If you had to visit some of these, you probably would not be fascinated, even by such wonders as Niagara Falls. To you, the Falls are two cups of coffee and less than 90 minute car ride away. You could leave now and have your next meal there and still return home at a reasonable hour. 

Originally on my first trip to Europe, I remember that I was frustrated that cancelling a week I had booked in Paris, was just too expensive to do. 

I had always told my husband, in an effort to convince him that were we in Europe, we should try and visit Paris a bit for my sake. This was largely because of my hobby of studying Haute Couture. Many times, I pointed out that as far as Paris was concerned, I would only ask him to come with me if he didn’t mind, for two days. I was sure that a couple of days in Paris, would be more than enough. 

The way I saw it, one day for the English language tour and a second day to kiss the ground in front of Givenchy Couture would suffice as my Parisian experience. Instead, I could not even begin to express the coup de foudre that began my love affair with Paris, which continues to this day.

I had no idea how I would feel about my first visit to Venice this year either. To my delight, Venice, so enthralled and captivated me that I spent the month after my return trying, at the busiest time of the year for them, to book anything affordable to give myself, at least, a week in Venice. 

I actually ended up with a very different excursion than a direct trip to Venice but one which included both Paris and Venice to my delight and happiness. I don’t regret a minute I have the joy of spending in either city. Who would have known? Not me, if I hadn’t left myself open to these new experiences.

I seem happiest when I have a Wish List and can find some time to wander around the places I want to without having to worry that someone else is not as enthused about it as I am. That way I can leave Versailles when I am ready and spend the rest of the day viewing a retrospective exhibit of Balenciaga couture. While my heart sings, I can’t expect anyone else I know to find this as enjoyable and captivating as I would.

Just as my perspective and perception of Paris changes, so also does my itinerary, including what I hope to see in new places and revisit some which I have visited before. 

Several passes, of various lengths have shown me more of places like Monaco, where I finally got to see the gravestones of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier. I must admit that I am still not very interested in Monaco and never was, excepting an interest in the late Princess Grace and the antics of her youngest daughter Stephanie. 

In Paris however, my visit would not be complete without, even a very short visit to the Musee d’Orsay and Fouquets on the Champs Elysee to people watch. Meanwhile, St. Paul de Vence was as perfect in reality as my memory had lead me to believe.

On the above return visits and one to Beaune in France, and to 4 cities in Spain, I was lucky. This might not have been the case and probably some time it may be that I will want to move on.

Actually London was only saved by spending one entire day in an excursion to two ½ day Tourist trips. This very widely spread out city is more complex than many other European ones that are more compact and can, quite easily, be as tiring as New York.

I am convinced that you can let new places and people come into your life. You can also return and share your experiences with family members and friends, compare travel experiences and generally have a very nice visit doing this.

Your experience will differ from those of others because you are different from them and they from you. It is still nice to talk about your perceptions of places and especially about the new people and places.

Meanwhile, travel allows you a first hand opportunity to see how other people live, what they do with their lives, and discover how their life differs or is similar to your own. I am convinced that what you bring home with you is what you were willing to bring into your life.

When I returned to Mediterranean Spain, this year, I went back to some of the same places, including one of the same restaurants in Pensacola. I ate at the same restaurant, overlooking that wonderful beach as I had last year. I was however, amused and I have to admit, a little chagrined, when the Waitress took one look at me and went to get a Ham and Cheese Sandwich. Any notions that I was going to appear to be a native were unceremoniously dashed. Guess my Spanish just isn’t good enough…YET.


No comments:

Post a Comment