Saturday 15 November 2014

NOT SOMEDAY, TODAY

What are you waiting for? I know I’m waiting for the future most of the time. A lot of things are on the Wish List as a craving and desire for SOMEDAY*.

Today. What about it. Today, I tell myself, will be busy - just like every other day. I immediately think of my plans for most of the day and how I will probably be home again around 7 p.m., likely having spent a busy but largely predictable day. Surprises, probably not many. But, it is now 10 a.m. and I have already thought about this evening and the end of the day away from home.

Meanwhile, like almost everyone else I am thinking, after that brief shock we all know we get, thinking that the year is flying by and it is already November. Not only is this year almost over, we tell ourselves, tomorrow in Toronto we will have our annual Santa Claus Parade. Christmas is about 6 weeks away. Soon the New Year will have arrived. As you can see, I'm already thinking at least 6 weeks ahead, again instead of about today.

Nevertheless, as usual, I am telling myself to remember that I must learn patience. I have never had much of it and so I recite to myself the mantra most of us probably learned, that, just because I want something doesn’t mean it is coming to me the second I want it. At least, that’s what everyone has tried to teach me since I was a young child loaded with energy and inquisitiveness.

I also recognize that, to me, Life without dreams is a pretty predictable place. Get up, go through the routine you’ve established, finish the day, sleep, get up and do it again. Fun…not really.

I think about living in the present a lot. This is a great personal challenge to me and one I continue to struggle to overcome. I know part of the reason is that relearning how to live in the present, the now, is one of the hardest things to do as an Adult. We’ve learned throughout the years, beginning when we are young children, and certainly by school age, that we must wait and must be patient.

I sigh as I think about what a struggle it is to stop wandering into thoughts about later today and tomorrow and 6 weeks from now and SOMEDAY. Instead, maybe you can join me in trying to live now and really appreciating the GIFT that is THE PRESENT.



*The Song – SOMEDAY was written by Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas for the movie Knight and Day in 2010, “Your past is history, future a mystery, Today is a precious gift, that’s why it’s called the present”

No comments:

Post a Comment