Wednesday 6 August 2014

JOIN ME...ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET

The Sunny Side of the Street is both a physical place and a state of mind. I experience both when I walk around my city (and any other place I visit) by making a point of walking on The Sunny Side of the Street.

The Canadian climate, of course, has something to do with a visceral need to enjoy as much sunshine and good weather as I can. Anyone familiar with the Canadian climate knows that we just experienced the worst winter in over 50 years. In fact, there are people, like my young Japanese friend who doubt it ever gets warm here.

Now however, we have a peculiar summer and lots of rain but are wearing very light, and sometimes sheer, clothing. Consistently summery weather does not seem to be something 2014 will be remembered for.

Nevertheless, I got a head start this year on a tanned face by going to the Mediterranean last month. However, even had I stayed home, I would by now have tanned a bit anyway just by walking around the city. But enough about the physical dimension about The Sunny Side of the Street.

By now you may know that I feel we as a species have more in common than we do different from each other. You might also have noticed that I believe that happiness is a state of mind over which we have some control.

I truly believe we can teach ourselves to think the best, instead of the worst, about each other and about events and people in our lives. It is simply a matter of moving beyond any initial annoyance, upset or anger and reasserting the positive. Do it often enough and most things and people assume a better place in our day and in our lives.

People who currently aren’t ready, or able to change, might perhaps look elsewhere and find someone they feel better with and about. Wish them well. They have the same chance you and I have of walking through their lives on The Sunny Side of the Street. We just got there sooner and recognized it for the better place. Perhaps someday they will join us on The Sunny Side of the Street.


* On The Sunny Side of the Street - music by Jimmy McHugh; lyrics by Dorothy Fields for the Broadway musical International Revue.

No comments:

Post a Comment