Wednesday 20 August 2014

BUSY BEING BUSY

We all know someone who is, and who will always be, BUSY. This person was busy when we met them, they were busy 10 years later, and if I called them now, they would tell me how busy they are.

Recently a movie came out called HOW DOES SHE DO IT? In the film we meet the person busy HAVING IT ALL. She is trying to be everything to everybody in her life at the same time. Ultimately something has to stop so that she can catch up with herself, because nobody can do all the things which such a person is trying to do.

Some of us wouldn’t try to do so much anyway, but faced with someone as driven as this ‘busy’ person, we soon discover that they feel a need to make it their busy-ness to tell us what we should be doing with our lives. They usually often also need to make us guilty for not being as busy as they are.

Beyond this, they will explain how what they are doing is just so right and modern and so of the moment. In fact, the whole exercise is likely to push us into wondering whether we are missing the plot if we don’t add more busy-ness to our own lives.

My answer, when I can’t avoid being given the third degree by this busy person (about the next 20 projects I could/should/might take on in order to live a fuller life), is to consider how directly I need to tell them to mind their own busy-ness, so that I can go back to living my own life, and they can go back to whatever it is they are actually doing with theirs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment