Friday 29 August 2014

A LEGEND IN THEIR OWN MIND

Clint Eastwood in 1983 put the phrase into the English language in the course of the movie Sudden Impact when he said, “I know...You’re a legend in your own mind”.

Recently I’ve been amazed to encounter two old men who might just believe this of themselves.

One of these was in the Doctor’s office where I was, I swear (for the first time ever) getting an address on my cell phone. This little beauty, who I identified (of course) as a short, fussy little wuss, pompously told me without preamble and time to apologize, to leave and make my call elsewhere.

Since most Canadians, particularly those who are civilized, do not make angry demands outright, almost ever, without some politeness preceding it, I advised the nurses that this man (translation: creature) wanted me to move out of the office area. Of course, I needed to tell them where I could be found completing my call.

As you can see, I am not Suzy Sunshine 24/7 so I did not offer this savage an apology for disturbing him (as I normally would have) had he been more civil.

It just shows you that he, or the second man who monopolized a t.v. remote in another office with a boring (to me) 2 hour programme, are both part of the recent intolerance of other people that is out there today.

Most Women understand very well what a Mid-Life Crisis means since they, or someone they know, has or is living through the result of one in their marriage.

Most Women also are awestruck but the amazing self-confidence or self-delusion of the type of ‘dirty old man’ who seems to feel that he is God’s Gift to Women. Personally I blame his Mother for this, but it is too late and he cannot be cured. At best, you will soon walk away and hopefully never see him again.

But seriously, are there really people out there, who believe they are so special we should all be impressed? I sure hope not.

Nevertheless, today on the Subway, I saw a young guy wearing a T shirt with a really large (convention style) label printed on it which read: My Name Is – AWESOME.

Maybe he thought he was AWESOME. I suspect he bought the shirt for himself. Maybe he feels people should know he is Awesome. Then again maybe his name is Awesome. The alternative is, that like a small child, a name tag is necessary so that he can be returned home - to whoever let him leave the house in that T-shirt.

As we all have heard, however, the ‘female of the species is deadlier than the male’. The Praying Mantis is cited for ‘biting off the head’ of her partner. Surprisingly, not many Women are called ‘Praying Mantis’, but they could and maybe should be, because of how they behave to Men.

Most of us are familiar also with that ‘special’ Woman “The Princess” a.k.a. “Daddy’s Little Girl” in some cases. Our society seems to be able to accommodate this (usually) consummate consumer quite nicely. Almost every luxury brand on earth will offer her premium service, with a smile.

The above might also be the type who considers the terms High Maintenance or confuses the word Demanding for Discerning and thinks the terms define exalted status and ‘Class’. In reality, those around her delete the first two letters in Class and hope she will soon go away…forever.


Call me Old Fashioned, but I’ve always found the classiest person to be the one who has the ability and breeding to treat all people equally. This is the kind of person who treats others as they themselves wish to be treated. They are also most likely to be the same people who do not think they are special or better than everyone else. They are definitely not walking around thinking or expressing their unqualified conviction (usually in a loud voice) that they are a ‘Legend in their own minds”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment