Wednesday 27 August 2014

BALANCING ACT

In a life that seems to be a balancing act already, if we let unexpected and additional detours knock us off course, we will find it more difficult to refocus and restore balance in our lives.

Having a routine helps a bit. It gives us a regular structure or at least, some parameters to guide us through the regular essential elements of our day.

It is almost essential that you also allow additional travel time when you live in a badly organized city. In some ways this is just one more cause of stress you must work with and around as you try to manoeuvre through your day and somehow get all you need to get done.

As for the political class, the less time and energy we waste on this subject the better. Suffice it to say, that today’s politicians aren’t interested in anything much other than themselves once they are in power. That power to increase their allowances, salaries and perquisites, at will, proves to them that they truly lay golden eggs.

Last week I talked about the unexpected and unwelcome surprise of a root canal and tooth repair. You cannot plan for such unexpected things. Usually you need to accept that you will need immediately to somehow find some time and money to address the problem now.

Nevertheless, at the same time I could not have expected an additional problem of coming home to kitchen cupboards which had, in my absence, had rust coloured pest control powder inserted at the sides of each shelf. It was only today that I realized that all of my mugs, glasses, dinner plates and serving dishes have been sitting amidst the bug powder for a week.

En route to my root canal this morning therefore, I made a stop at the management office of my complex to express my distress and dismay. I believe my concerns were met with, at best disdain and indifference.

Walk to my corner and you encounter more than 2 blocks of a construction zone with much of the road blocked off in preparation for future demolition to add to the new building construction under way and already in scaffolding which has blocked off those areas for a long time already.


In a life that seems to be a balancing act already, in self defence, we need to plan ahead for the unexpected detours that will otherwise knock us off balance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment