Saturday 4 October 2014

HEAVEN IS FOR REAL

This movie title movie had been somewhere in the back of my mind as a film to see. Earlier this year In Europe, I met a couple and their two children who came from a town where this movie was made. I decided to see it sometime soon. 

The book was written in 2002. The movie was released on April 16th, 2014. For some reason it did not seem to stay in theatres for long. It would not surprise me to learn that they needed to make room for The Wolf of Wall Street. In fact that the movie was made at all is somewhat surprising.

Critics said that it did not have enough conflict or drama. The father’s kidney stones and injured leg, the young boys appendicitis are not gripping enough I suppose. Not enough drama to keep it in the theatres either perhaps.

However, I like to see positive things as often as I can and having met the Nebraskan family, I determined to see it as soon as I could, despite that all I knew about it was the title. This week I bought a DVD copy and have now seen it once by myself and again last night with a friend.

Because I have faith and believe in God, as does my friend, I guess I am able to be encouraged and uplifted by this hopeful film and it’s message that you have nothing to fear and no one will hurt you.

If nothing else, it seeks to demonstrate that beyond ourselves is an afterlife, without time as we know it, and that those who have predeceased us will meet us there. Maybe an elderly aunt days before her death in 2000 had something when she was speaking to a sibling who died as a child, that she would be there soon.


It does less harm to be hopeful about an afterlife but also to enjoy the gift of the present fully while we are alive than think that this may be all there is and that heaven and hell are here on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment