Monday 29 September 2014

DO WHAT YOU LOVE

Many years ago, by chance I found a book sitting on a bookstore counter. The title said, Do What You Love – The Money Will Follow*.  

I was on my/our sort of Honeymoon. A few days in Vermont visiting one of my favourite places Manchester and a few other New England cities in the United States. A few days snatched from our working lives several months after we had been married one Friday or Saturday night...Back to work on Monday. Me to a new job within the same organization, my husband back to the 4 senior people he reported to even late in his career.

We were very happy to have finally wrested some time away because we were happy anyway. However, the above gives you some idea of what kind of life/lives we were leading then. I would say much the same, without children of our own to take care of that many of you are living right now.

In any case, we were, as usual having a great time and very happy. As we began, so we ended many years later…EXCEPT…our daily working lives were not fun. Office Politics, running on the spot and pressure, pressure, pressure. No matter how you looked at it, our working lives were running us and not we them.

The book, found by chance I suppose, was a revelation. I read it then and sat up all night to do so. When we returned to Toronto after a long and very lovely drive, I immediately gave notice on my job and not long after, my husband took early retirement. Neither of us ever looked back, except to say Thank you God…and our former employers for making it possible for us to take a step in another direction.

Sometimes when I am tired or frustrated I, like anyone else, have to stop myself from stupidly letting that time ruin my day. As the years have gone by I have realized that we can make our days good or bad, depending on how we choose to perceive them.

If I wanted to, I could easily list all of the things that are wrong or could be better in my life. Just like you a lot happens every day that we deal with, sometimes better than others. We both know however that whining and moaning, while cathartic, neither takes away the problem, nor makes for fun times for either ourselves or those around us.

Instead, I suggest that each of us thinks about what we really want in life and starts now to direct our time, energy and resources toward making it a reality.

I, for example, will never be Rich. Money does not either motivate or inspire me. Money therefore is not a priority for me to pursue.

I also, enjoy giving things away and am one of those people who sees and shops for the perfect thing (large or small) to give someone. I get no greater pleasure than in giving someone something they didn’t even know they wanted (needed). I suppose the more I had, the more I would give away, particularly some of it for those less fortunate than myself.

At the same time, I wouldn’t want to end up sleeping on someone’s floor or being dependent upon others because I had nothing left. Therefore, obviously some common sense needs to be incorporated into our plans as well. That is Me.

Your interests, needs and wants may be, and actually should be, considerably different from my own. They are your priorities and you are living your own life. 

To me there is nothing wrong with that at all, provided that you meet your obligations and responsibilities to those dependent upon you.

There are plenty of books out there by people who suggest ways to reach your goals and head in a direction which gives you more satisfaction and happiness. 

Directing your energies, resources and concentrating on something that will bring your happiness is a focused way of making it possible, sooner or later, to get what you want/need in life.

Along the way, you may find that some of your now directed energy changes to other interests. This may be because the new experiences, maturity or goals change and adjust to your needs and wants.

My fondest wish would be for each of us to be happier because we are enjoying every day more than we were.

Beyond this, the days your needs and your wants are equal, you will be right where the rest of us can only hope to be. Now there is something to contemplate as you look ahead to a happier future.


*Do What You Love – The Money Will Follow – Discovering Your Right Livelihood by Dr. Marsha Sinetar (1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment