Sunday 14 September 2014

NOBODY'S PERFECT

Recently I wrote about how surprised I was that a friend of mine became upset many years ago that she was not perfect. Struggling as I do to learn something new every day, to feel a sense of progress, I am only too aware of how imperfect I am.

Nevertheless, I am not very upset about this because I do not think we need to be aiming for perfection anyway. I feel it is far more important that we compete with ourselves and work on the basis of achieving our ‘personal best’.

The reason I think our personal best is a worthwhile guide and goal is that by working to improve ourselves we compete with ourselves to learn and grow, rather than trying to compare and measure ourselves against someone else’s abilities, interests, aspirations and most importantly capabilities.

I say this also because my needs, wants and goals in life probably differ greatly from those of anyone else around me. They differ because they are mine, yours differ because they are yours.

Putting up some hypothetical concept of perfection is more likely to disappoint you especially when someone else has put this up as a benchmark.

Instead, each of us with our individual abilities, needs and goals can work on what is important to us. 


Meanwhile, since Nobody’s Perfect anyway, let those who feel the need, exert themselves on their very different journey through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment