Wednesday 10 September 2014

TAKE ME AWAY - TRYING NOT TO LOSE IT

I have lived in one of Canada’s biggest cities all of my life. Recently I have found my city, Toronto, unlivable. If you want to add to the stresses of city living, study my city now and be glad you currently live somewhere else.
With apparently 800 new Condominium buildings going up, at the same time it seems, getting anywhere you want to go requires twice the time it normally would.

We are constantly walking under scaffolding, taking detours around surface construction (of more useless road blocking streetcar lines) and generally having to take shuttle buses every weekend, when our woefully inadequate and limited – mostly 60 year old subway is being bandaged up.

No new roads have been built since the 1960’s to get people in (or in my case out) either, so add traffic congestion and a collapsing ‘expressway’ downtown to the mix.

Meanwhile, politically most votes seem to involve 30 city councillors voting against the Mayor and his brother whatever the subject. Seeing beyond their political tenure seems beyond any of them. I compare it to a Kindergarten. With an election coming up in October, an even sillier season than what we have already had a couple of years of, is no doubt, coming soon.

I have now experienced a few of the world’s large cities, i.e. New York, London, Paris, Rome, Madrid and others. I have not lived in them, so I must allow that the stress their populations experience in daily life, would of course, be different than the footsore treks a tourist takes for a few days.

Normally I am an optimist and try to look forward. Perhaps I will live long enough to see some of this mess cleared up, a better government running the city and sometime in the future, locate an area of the city not being torn up.

However, being as subjective about life as everyone else is, I can’t help but say Take Me Away*…to a better place and start plotting and planning on getting away from here.


*Pocketful of Sunshine – John Shanks, Natasha Bedingfield, Danielle Brisebois 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment