Monday 29 September 2014

THE EXPLODING BUCKET LIST

Some of you know my first Bucket List was born of Love and Memory. In 2006, memories about my lovely husband led me to want to see where he had lived his early life, gone to school and grown up.

It is always said that the first step is the hardest. It certainly was for me, because it involved forcing aside a very longstanding fear of flying which, strangely perhaps, my late husband and I had shared.

I joke, then and now, about how I figured the trip would either end me or show me something new. It showed me a lot more than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams. My first Bucket List was a magical experience. It brought me amazing unimaginable new experiences, wonderful memories and a new world exploding and opening up in front of me.

The next Bucket List was easier because I had already learned what taking that first step could bring me. A look around many cities and villages of France was wonderful. I assure you there is more to France than Paris and Champagne.

Last year I had to go and see as much of Spain as I could. All of my life, I figured that anyone who stayed up late and enjoyed both their days and their nights had to be my kind of people. I was right. I am still fascinated by this country and also by the Portuguese perspective on life, which I also learn about from a brother in law and his Family.

Not surprisingly, I found places in the Mediterranean amazing. I realized that I really liked the people and the food and the sun and, well, just about everything. As some of us say, What’s not to like?

Again focusing on the Mediterranean life and countries around it, finally brought me a new love…VENICE. Just a taste and it was time to move on. A bit like that first little taste of something delicious and tantalizing. Yum.

I wanted my own experience of Venice and not just a mouthful this time. Almost at the same time, I was shocked to realize that my favourite French town - St. Paul de Vence, while always on my mind had, in reality been several years ago. I just never seemed to get there physically, though my mind spent a lot of time there.

What’s a girl to do? My answer, GO FOR IT!

This morning, I look around me and beyond my ‘normal’ home life reasserting itself practically and making demands of me, I don’t just see the tasks, small – well not so small - of laundry and mail and ‘real life’ pulling me back to earth. I am also seeing the beauty I have just been blessed with to add to this wonderful life. All of this will become incorporated into myself and my life and accompany me into the future.

With a head full of memories of new friends, new places and great joy at returning to places (which were even better than the memories I had of them), my heart is overflowing.

All because, 8 years ago in sorrow, mourning, love, respect and memory, I smacked down my fears and took that scary first step. I could not then have imagined that I was being introduced to my new life and that it would would lead me to magical places I never imagined I would see and experience.

Dare to dream, it takes you somewhere you never imagined and opens up new worlds for you to appreciate and marvel at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment