Tuesday 15 October 2013

THINGS DON'T MATTER, PEOPLE DO

What do any of us really need in life? Do I really need another leather handbag, another pair of shoes, another computer or camera or even another book?

There are times when I look at all of the THINGS around me and wonder if any of it makes sense. Why fill your life with things? I'd say it's when you don't have people who matter, that's when you need to fill the gaps with things.

I can't help but wonder whether we would be freer if we could pare down the things and start to actually use what we have, instead of buying more. 

Meanwhile, I know that most of us look at what we already have in passing, often still telling ourselves that some day we will use some of it.

Having just given away another blender, food processor and mixer system (that sat unused for more than a year) I realize that yet one more thing I never needed was not going to replace what I did...someone to eat the food that I was intending to create.

Someone, but not just anyone. Not just a body seated at the table, but someone who cared for me even though they knew and understood me.

All the 'stuff' I could possibly buy was not going to matter, if I wasn't able to share it with a friend.

Right now, I think, that the time and the meals shared with people we care about are more important than almost anything else we do. 

Things don't matter, people do. Things won't give you love, people will. Something to remember as we look at what's really important in life.

Take some time today, if you haven't already over THANKSGIVING, to appreciate the people you have in your life who care about you. If you haven't told them, do it now, not tomorrow or someday. 

Time flies, people leave our lives, but making a conscious decision to recognize and acknowledge our blessings; in person, possibly also in words and especially, through our actions; ensures that today will be a good day and, that tomorrow will be even better.




No comments:

Post a Comment