Tuesday 13 August 2013

LOVE - A MANY SPLENDORED THING

 
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death. 
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

Love is amazing. Before my husband died, he didn't say a lot of dramatic things but a few times he walked by me and said the following: 

We didn't have a long time, but we had a good time. 

On another occasion: I still feel the same way. 

On another occasion: I was always faithful to you. 

On another occasion: You really have a very pretty voice (when you sing). 

No big drama, no sloppy baloney. Just flowers often for years and years and a lot of good manners, consideration and decency. 

Early on we decided that we had GOOD WILL towards each other and said it. 

We also decided to divide up household chores according to who was better at it. 

Most importantly we did not drag each other to things the other hated...in his case shopping...he got to tell me Better You than Me when I'd come home worn out and footsore. 

A lot of little things, and just one more - deciding what it is important to you - important enough to insist on. 

The rest of the day, other than remembering and saying you love, is just stuff.

What leaves you happiest of all - when it is mutual. 

P.S. I was very honoured and happy to hear someone who knew us both, for many years, tell someone that she had never heard me criticize my husband. I know I had no reason to, but I am still happy that I did not. 



No comments:

Post a Comment