Monday 6 May 2013

WHO ARE YOU? I REALLY WANT TO KNOW

Who are you? Where do you live? I don't mean what geographical place, I mean when you are alone with only yourself to blame, praise, appreciate or disdain.

Most of us aren't Method Actors, analyzing and accessing: What is my motivation? Most of us are putting one foot in front of the other, going through our day, and living our life. However, I believe that a little reflection is in order if we are ever to understand what we are doing here, and the purpose of our lives.

Mark Twain said it better than I ever will: "The two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why."

To get there we have to learn to live comfortably within our skin. This probably requires at least some reflection about 'Who am I when I am home?' What do I like? What do I feel? What am I basing my life on? 

We might also ask ourselves: Do I welcome today with hope that it will be better than yesterday?; or just drag myself through another day saying "Same Old, Same Old" or worse still, "Same Shit, Different Day".

There was a song, Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)? by Peter Sarstedt, where he asks someone he knew as a childhood friend, what she thinks about when she thinks about her life, when she is by herself. This woman, Marie Claire, belongs to the Jet Set, what we now call Glitterati or Celebrities. He is wondering what she really thinks about her life, and whether she remembers their childhood friendship as poor children in Naples.

Someone once said, Every person has a Book in them. The story of their life. Sometimes, they write it, most of us just live it.

I don't think someone sitting across from me on a Bus has anything less important to say than I do. They may just not have the time, energy or ability to put it into words. Talk to them for a minute and you share their world. Talk to them for a minute and you have a chance to see who they are and where they live.

Maybe you want to talk about your world, to share it with the rest of us, so I ask you again, 'WHO ARE YOU? I REALLY WANT TO KNOW' **






* WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) song by Peter Sarstedt, 1969.
** WHO ARE YOU? - song by Peter Townshend of the group THE WHO.





No comments:

Post a Comment