Friday 13 January 2017

WISH YOURSELF A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR


I celebrate 2 Christmas days each year. Today I also celebrate a second New Year as well. If I miss one, as I did this year; I can still pull out the rest of my decorations and leave them up until January 15th. This is what, in fact, I did this year. I can’t tell you how happy I am to have done so and how much better I feel in joining the celebrations. As the saying goes, better late than never.

Ringing in the new year has a special meaning to many of us this year. For some of us, 2016 was a year of many changes. For myself, moving house was closely followed by a trip all around Spain. Returning to a cousin’s funeral and other disruptions took me quickly into Christmas and New Years and beyond.

I am so far behind that this is my first year where even combining Christmas and New Years in cards did not happen. In fact, I intend to send notes to all of my faithful friends as soon as I get my act together. Strangely this year, this will be shortly after the decorations are put away next week.

I felt a Christmas spirit, and had a fine meal on December 24th, meatless as it always is in our tradition. However, saying goodbye to 2016 is saying goodbye to some people who have been in my life for a long time. In fact, some people I know think some of these others have been around long enough to be sent on their way.

Others that I inherited among my late husband’s friends, passed away in the past few months. Speaking to their widow’s reminds me of my own loss and other Christmas days and New Years from the past.

The consolation prize of the second new year, can be to remind you that a fresh start can be made whenever you are ready. There is an optimism and encouragement in realizing this. There is even more when you remind yourself how much your happiness depends upon you.

You have a chance to be happy any day you are ready to let yourself be happy. Like love, even if you begin with a small act, there is nothing to stop you from adding to it and becoming habitually happy. A lot of what it takes is a willingness to change your perception. What I’m saying is put on your rose coloured glasses and wish yourself a very Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment