Saturday 14 January 2017

MAKE YOURSELF A PROMISE IN 2017

Usually I feel that New Years Resolutions are made to be broken. Maybe we mean them at the time, but like salt thrown over your shoulder for good luck, shortly afterwards, we forget. Strangely I don't feel this way this year.

When I gave each brother and sister a copy of the ‘Happy’ DVD this Christmas, I hoped that each of them would find a way to be happier this year. This is particularly important after 2016 when there seemed so many unhappy people around. As if the U.S. political scene, terrorism and murders in many parts of the world weren’t enough; several people in their anger and unhappiness tragically took many family members with them as well.

Along with wishing a happier New Year for those close to me in my life, I am also adding a New Years Resolution for my own life.

For the first time in many, many years, I think I want to strive to stop myself from telling people what I actually think. This probably should include saying I’m sorry about something only when I really mean it and not just because I am trying to keep the peace and/or be polite. Yikes, I’m a long way from the polite person I used to be.

Along with telling people what I actually think, I may include the fact, that we seem to have lost respect for each other. I should try to have the courage to tell them that I am disappointed that I feel this way, BUT, that in fact, I do feel this way.

I may also mention that perhaps I had no right to expect someone to be anything other than who they are; but that I may have previously thought they were better people than they seem to be now.

It isn’t easy to say goodbye. As I’ve mentioned before, I believe people are in our lives for a reason and we are meant to learn from them. Maybe I still believe this. However, I now wonder whether one of the lessons is learning when to stop loading your life down with people who should be moving out of your life into one that suits each of you better. Perhaps I’m accepting that Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.


Meanwhile, there’s still a lot of living to do. Easier when your baggage is lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment