Friday 13 March 2015

SEE ANYTHING YOU LIKE?



If you are even a remotely friendly person you are likely to meet a lot of people as you go through life.

Recently I heard that Aristotle stressed the importance of having Friends in our lives. He was wise enough to differentiate between people who are our ‘friends’ because of the situation we find ourselves in (i.e. people we work with in our jobs) and those who we might have with us for our entire life.

Some of us are fortunate to make friends in childhood that accompany us for most or all of our lives. I suspect however, that most of us ‘leave behind’ many childhood friends as we begin to make our own decisions and build an adult life of our own (usually from the time we go out on our own as young adults).

Recently I spoke of developing healthy self respect for yourself. This and so many other components of a happy and successful life require a degree of experience and self knowledge which we slowly gain as we begin to make our own decisions in life.

Whether our foundation is built upon what our families and communities gave us or on our re-creating a life which we feel better matches our wants and needs in life, what I call a Moral Compass helps build a foundation which underlies the way we live our lives.

As I mentioned above, even a remotely friendly person is likely to meet a lot of people as they go through life. A gregarious and very friendly person meets many more because they often present an openness and receptivity which permits new people to approach them.

Since I am like this gregarious person, I find I am especially happy when I meet other people like me. This does not however, mean that I want them to be exactly like me or change to meet my requirements, but rather that I recognize and prefer to have people around me open to new ideas and willing to treat life as an experience in lifelong learning and growth.

I also very much admire honesty and someone who is receptive and makes time to get to know people. Most importantly, the people I really like are those who treat other people in the way they themselves like to be treated. Maybe their Pheromones and yours somehow work together as well.   

In any case, when I meet people I recognize an affinity with, I try to be very open and welcome them to make themselves at home in my life, because I feel there may be a place for me in theirs also. Were I to feel a need to verbalize the miracle I recognize in someone who is potentially a friend and kindred spirit because of who they seem to be as people, I might be tempted to say – ‘See anything you like?…Because I do’.

The other day, someone said that you can say a lot in 120 words. I agree. With someone who understands you, you probably won’t need even 120 words. With someone who doesn’t understand you (and never will) no amount of words will ever suffice.

Appreciate and enjoy the miracle that is Love and the Friendship that you receive with and from someone who understands and cares for you and never take one of life’s rare and miraculous gifts for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment