Tuesday 17 March 2015

LOOKING FOR 1 IN A MILLION



One night at Dinner last week the topic of Internet Dating came up. Everyone has on opinion on this. Almost all of us have either used the sites or know someone who has, or is using them. Some people I know have had marriages within their own families that began with an Internet connection.

There is even a site advertising on television for a long time now that says you can improve your marriage (by cheating on your spouse) by using their service. Very classy that, but perhaps ultimately, the most truthful and honest one you might find.

Meanwhile, when speaking about the universal availability of Internet Dating and it’s chances of success, I think of what my brother said, that a lot of people are spending so much time on the Internet that dating is just one more thing they would naturally take care of on the Internet.

I have always wondered about how you screen out the fakes, married men and just plain out and out liars. People assure me that everyone develops their own radar and techniques for assessing whether people are worth meeting, spending time with or having any contact with at all.

A lot of people seem to feel that Internet Dating sites are a way for Women to play the ‘numbers’ game that Men do and not get tied down to a limited number of contacts.

We have all changed. From time to time I like to see older movies. I can tell they are older because when a Woman walks in to a room, the men stand up.

I can see old photos of our bus services. I know they are old because all of the Women are seated and the only people standing are Men. Definitely not something you could imagine today, when it matters not whether a Woman is heavily pregnant, with a stroller and a small baby or toddler; she gets to stand while some Boy or Man enjoys his music or computer game or paper.

No matter how much you hope miracles might happen, and however often you watch The Wizard of Oz and click your heels together, I fear someone who still has good manners is 1,000,000 to 1 against, among the Men today.

I can’t, and actually do not want to turn back the clock. It would be nice however, if the implied Respect that Woman got in the past were still occasionally something that we could see from the Men today for the Women around them. Even if they only applied it to Pregnant or the Elderly, it would be an improvement over the behavior of most of today’s males.

Hate to tell you, but Good Manners are what I (unfortunately) got used to. I feel it’s absence all the more because it was both what I was brought up with and married as well (when I married someone considerably older than myself). Having experienced it for a long time in my life, is it any wonder that it would be something I would miss?

The thing I miss most however is Reliability. I still keep dreaming that there is still someone in the world who still believes as I do, that you say what you mean and you do what you say you will. I guess the only place this is going to happen is in my Dreams, while I am sleeping of course.

Maybe people are finding other things more important, though I can’t imagine what is more important than reliability and trust, whatever else you are doing in life.

Oh well, here’s to that 1 in a Million. Let me know if you meet him on the Internet. It does, after all, reach a larger audience and who knows, maybe on some remote island somewhere, he still exists. Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment