Saturday 31 January 2015

WAKE UP CALL - IF NOT NOW, WHEN?

Surprise! It’s already February. How long since you put your New Year Resolutions away? Me too.

Nevertheless, because I believe every day is a chance to begin again, I wake up every morning ready to see what the day has in store for me. In addition, I usually have plans of my own for it too.

Recently however, unusually I am humming the song “Time”* to myself. And, like Chantal Kreviazuk, I am asking myself ‘Time where did you go?’ Is it actually passing faster? Sure seems to be.  

As you probably already know, if you’ve read other of my essays, I don’t think life is too short. However, I hope I am wise enough to know that if we don’t pay attention to the days, the months just slip away. All too soon, just as we are now, we are into another year, with a month already past.

This is enough of a message for me to think again about what I plan to do this year. I don’t need to be hit over the head by some crisis to think again that soon a lot of time will have passed and I am still working on things I hoped to finish before the New Year.

I don’t want to be one of those people who is finally finishing with a 2013 backlog (as I have been this morning) and still not moving onto the next stage of my writing and quite a few other things I would prefer to be doing.

All of us can make excuses. I don’t even want to think about my own, let alone yours.

If it makes you feel better, recite them to yourself…Once. Should be easy, they are always readily available. This time, though, determine to put them away, rather than postponing yet again what you need to do and more importantly, what you want to do.

So, what I think both of us could do next is think about what we need to do, then what we want to do, then ask ourselves if we are serious about doing these things. Otherwise, when March starts we’ll both be right back here, three months into 2015 and still ‘sitting’ on our excuses. If not now, when?



*Song – TIME – Chantal Kreviazuk – 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment