Tuesday 18 February 2014

NOTHING TO DO WITH ME

As I get older, it strikes me often that, a lot of things happening around me, having nothing to do with me.

Does this mean I have stopped caring about life? I don't think so. 

Usually this means that rather than thinking someone else's bad day is my fault or making it a problem of mine by being effected by them; I am able to see that much of what someone else does or says has more to do with where they are at, than with me.

When we are younger, we are often the centre of our own universe. Everything is subjective, particularly when we are children. Even as teenagers, self consciousness predominates. We see most of what happens around us by how it effects us.

It is only when we are older, I think, that sometimes we realize that what happens in our lives, and especially in the wider world, like it or not, actually is not effected by our efforts or opinions. 

The world keeps revolving and life keeps happening and time keeps passing, whether we like it or not. I am actually encouraged by this. Strange as it may seem, I can go on being myself because of it.

Whether someone I barely know, likes me or my clothes or ideas, becomes irrelevant. Do you know why? Simple actually. I know myself. Better yet, I like myself. I like who I am and who I have become. 

Being grown up and having a personality and character and experience is a big help towards accepting yourself and your own identity. 

Time has taught me the valuable lessons I needed to know such as knowing who I am and what I believe in. Experience has taught me what is important in life. 

Most importantly, I am encouraged and confident because I have people in my life who know me and accept me as I am. 

No wonder then, when some stranger growls or glares at me or rudely pushes past me, I chock it up to their getting up on the wrong side of the bed, missing their morning coffee, being late or simply neurotic. 

I remind myself that among other things, how someone else behaves is none of my business. Not only is it none of my business, but it is also not my concern. Furthermore, it usually has nothing to do with me.

What I do instead, is go back to my own happier thoughts of the nice day I hope and expect to have. 

Life is so much easier when you don't spend too much of your own valuable time, trying to solve everyone else's problems, especially those which have nothing to do with you anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment